Psychology and Mental Health Resource Links
Dr. Mohiuddin Ahmed's Home Page
Click here to read about Dr. Mohiuddin Ahmed's publications, research interests, work activities and bio-data.
A comprehensive resource link to various subject matters in psychology and mental health with links to online resources, journals, books and research by Center for Psychological Resources from Ahtabasca University
These sites relate to basic ideas about what psychology is all about, what psychologists do, and mind-body relationships.
- Introduction to Psychology and Research (Dr. Heffner)
- Careers in psychology (Heffner Media Group)
- Psychology: A Science of Mind-BBC Presentation
These sites are primarily from Dr. Boreree's excellent online chapters on physiological psychology and brain behavior functions.
These sites relate to biological and physciological issues and brain-behavior development in early childhood.
Washington University Site
- Biopsychology (Heffner);
- Neuron (Boeree)
- The Nervous System(Boeree)
- Images of the Brain(Boeree)
- Emotional Brain(Boeree)
- Cerebrum-The Higher Function of the Brain(Boeree)
- Cerebellum- Wikipedia article highlighting our increased understanding of its role in cognition and behavior
- Sleep (Boeree)
- Brain Basics-The Division of the Nervous System
- Questions about Neuroscience
Athabasca University of Psychological Research
Brain Development in Children
- Early Brain Development-Phyllis Porter's Site
- Brain-behavior related information from Scientific Learning Website
- Tufts University-Child Development Website
These sites relate to emotions and motivation regulating behavior functioning.
- Motivation and Emotion (Heffner Media Group)
- Emotion (Boeree);
- Motivation (Boeree)
- Further Information on Motivation (Bill Huitt)
- Hunger and Eating Disorder(Boeree)
- Love (Boeree)
These sites relate to issues of learning and memory, the most important components of adaptive and intelligent behavior.
- Behavioral Learning (a la Huitt);
- Learning (Boeree)
- Learning Principles Applied to Classroom (a la Huitt);
- Memory (Boeree)
- "Memory" from Stanford Encylopedia of Philosophy along with comprehensive sites on philosphical thinking
- Behavior Analysis and Learning-Athabasca University Psychology Resources
- Further and Advanced Concepts in Learning (Greg Kearsely's Theory Into Practice (TIP) Internet Site
These topics relate to nature ann nurture controversy, and analysis of contributions of both to individual and social behavior functioning- indexed from online texts by Dr. Boeree.
These sites provide usefuly information about the emerging field of evolutionary psychology and pyschobiology.
- Evolutionary Psychology by Tooby and Cosmides
- Dr. Kenyon's SALMON site for Evolutionary Psychology-University of Plymouth
- Edward Hagen's Frequently Asked Quesions on Evolutionary Psycholgy
These sites relate to different theories of intelligence, factors influencing intelligence, and emotional intelligence as a separate conceptual entity.
- Different theories of Intelligence and Factors influencing Intelligence(Boeree)
- Emotional Intelligence and Parenting Issues-Steve Hein
These sites relate to evolution of language and language development, primarily taken from online texts by Dr. Boeree.
- Languages of the world (Boeree)
- Language Development (Boeree)
- Evolution of the languages (Boeree)
- Origin of Language (Boeree)
These sites relate to child and adolescent psychology, cited primarily from online texts by Dr. Boeree.
- Prenatal development (Boeree)
- Infant, Child, and Adolescent (Boeree)
- Psychological Problems in Childhood (Boeree)
- Cognitive Development(Boeree)
- Moral Development(Boeree)
- Spiritual Nature of Human Being (a la Huitt)
- Developmental Issues-Athabasca University Center for Psychology
- Topics related to adolescence- Fenichel
These sites relate to information about human aging.
- Truth About Human Aging-Scientific American
- Another article from Scientific American
- Strehler's 1986 article in Experimental Gerontology
- The Science of Staying Young- Scientific American Special Issue
- The Brain Creates the Mind by Antonio Damasio
- The Problem of Consciousness by Francis Crick and Christy Koch
- The Puzzle of Conscious Experience by David Chalmers
- The Neurobiology of Fear by Ned H. Kalin
- The Meaning of Dreams by Jonathan Winson
- Vision: A Window on Consciousness by Nikos K. Logathetis
- Sex Differences in the Brain by Doreen Kimura
- The Mind-Body Interaction in Diseases by Esther M. Sternberg and Philip W. Gold
- The Split-Brain Revisited by Michael S. Gazzarriage
- New Nerve Cells for the Adult Brain by Gerard Kempermann and Fred H. Gage
- Emotions, Memory, and the Brain by Joseph E. LeDouz
- Basic Statistical Concepts-Statssoft Inc
- Basic Statistical Operations-StatsoftInc.
- Research Methods and Statistics-Athabasca University Cener for Psychological Resources
- Social Psychology Network by Scott Plous of Wesleyan University
- Social Psychology (Heffner Media Group)
- Abnormal, Clinical, and Counseling Psychology- a comprehensive site from Ahtabasca university
- Another very comprehensive site of resources in clinical psychology related topices- Scott Plous,Wesleyan U
- An internet resource by ClinicalPsychology.net
- Psychopathology(Heffner Media Group)
- Personality Theories-Athabasca Resource Site
- Psychotherapy(Heffner Media Group)
- Mental Health and Behavior-National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
- Donal J.Franklin's Website on Forensic Psychology
- David Willshire's Forensic Psychology Links
- Forensic Psychology Careers, Kendra Cherry-About.Com Guide
- Marisa Mauro-Psychology Today: What is Forensic Psychology?"
- Mental Health Resources Information- a comprehensive site from The University of Adelaide
- American Psychological Association Website
- Mayo Clinic Resource Site
- A Report of the Surgeon General on Mental Health
- David Osser's Algorithm Pharmacotherapy for Schizophrenia
- A comprensive site on schizophrenia- one of the disabling forms of mental illnesses
- American Psychiatric Association's Practice Guidelines
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance
- National Alliance for the Mentally Ill(NAMI)
- The Therapy Directory from Psychology Today
- An Internet Resource of "Classics in History of Psychology" by Green, York University
- University of Michigan's Internet Library-Social Science/Psychology
- Resource links on applications of psychology to everyday life situations - initiated by past APA president Philip Zimbardo
- Encyclopedia of Psychology-Psychology Department of Jacksonville State University
- Dr. John Grohol's Psych Central -a comprehensive site for psychology and menal health resource
Dr. Ahmed recently collaborated in the publication of a book with Professor Charles Boisvert of Rhode Island College, based on his clinical practice model and experience: Mind Stimulation Therapy: Cognitive Intervention with Schizophrenia, published by Routledge. The book also has chapters devoted to the use of the clinical model: Multimodal Integrative Cognitive Stimulating Therapy (MICST) to substance abuse and geriatric populations. Please see the link: Mind Stimulation Therapy: Cognitive Intervention with Schizophrenia by Mohiuddin Ahmed and Charles Boisvert
- Motivational Psychology- Jacksonville State University Site
- Industrial-Organizational Psychology (Social Psychology Network by Scott Plous of Wesleyan University)
- Learning Disability Association of America
- Mental Retardation a la AAMR - Hope Enterprises, Inc
- American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry on Mental Retardation
- NIMH site on Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Internet Mental Health Resource on ADD/ADHD
- Children and Adults with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder-CHADD Site
- Scientific Learning Website-Resource for the learning disabled
The following links relate to organizing information, note taking in classroom environment,using specific learning and memorizing strategies that may assist students in an academic environment.
Academic Resource Center of Sweet Briar College
Virginia Technical University Site
These sites relate to improving writing skills, familarizing with basic grammatical rules, watching out for common mistakes in writing, and organizing information and content for research papers, including guidelines for APA style of writing for for journals published by American Psychological Association.
- A comprehensive link to writing resources by Psychology Center, Athabasca University, Canada
- Grammar Slammer-an excellent quick finding resource from English Plus
- William Strunk Jr.'s 'Elements of Style'
- American Psychology Association Writing Resource
- "APA Research Style Crib Sheet" by Russ Dewey- an excellent resource for APA style of writing for journals
- 21 Tips for Better Writing for Psychology Journals by Sternberg
Mohiuddin Ahmed received his B.A. (Hons.) and M.A. in Philosophy from Dhaka University, Bangladesh. He was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship to study in the US. He received M.S. in clinical psychology from Long Island University, Brooklyn, New York, and Ph.D. in clinical psychology from the University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He did his clinical internship at Winnebago Mental Health Institute. He has had teaching experiences in Bangladesh (University of Dhaka), Philippines (Ateneo De Manila), and the United States (Northeastern University).
Dr. Ahmed has had 40+ years of clinical practice experience in various inpatient and outpatient psychiatric facilities, such as mental retardation, mental health and substance abuse agencies, and nursing homes. He was also involved in active private practice in Rhode Island and Massachusetts, and provided consultation to public school special education programs as well as to collaborative educational programs serving the special needs children. Dr. Ahmed was extensively involved in graduate student training in their internship or practicum training placements, and has been actively involved in mental health research and publications.
The following is a list of agencies that Dr. Ahmed has been associated with either as a staff member or as a consultant in Massachusetts and Rhode Island over a period of 40 years: Wrentham State School, Taunton State Hospital, NRI Community Services, Human Resource Institute, Community Counseling Center, Peoples Inc, Versa Care, Family Resource and Action Center, Blackstone Valley Youth and Family Collaborative, BICO Educational Collaborative, and NRI Educational Collaborative, Rhode Island Youth Guidance Center, Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission, and Med Options, Inc.
Dr. Ahmed was involved in supervising a large number of graduate Ph.D. and Master’s level students in psychology while he was associated with Taunton State Hospital, NRI Community Services, Versa Care, and RI Youth Guidance Center. Many of these students were associated with URI clinical psychology program, where Dr. Ahmed served as Adjunct Professor, and Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology.
Below is a partial list of research programs that Dr. Ahmed was involved as primary project director or as co-director: Behavior Training of Mentally Retarded and Behaviorally Disordered Filipino Children in Public Schools sponsored by Philippine Mental Health Association, Day and Residential Programs for Behaviorally Disordered Mentally Retarded Adults in Community sponsored by Wrentham Research Foundation in collaboration with Department of Mental Health and Retardation in Massachusetts, CMHC (NRI Community Mental Health Center)-Local Educational Authority (Catchment Area Public Schools) Collaborative Project sponsored RI Department of Education, Adaptation of the Multi-Function Needs Assessment Survey sponsored by Rhode Island Mental Health Advancement Resource Center, and Long-term Follow up of clozapine treated hospitalized patients discharged to the community sponsored by Taunton State Hospital Research Committee In collaboration with DMH Research Committee.
Dr. Ahmed is presently a consulting clinical psychologist in Massachusetts and RI, having retired from Department of Mental Health In Massachusetts (Taunton State Hospital), and after 30+ years of association with NRI Community Services in Rhode Island. For the past four years Dr. Ahmed provided psychology services to nursing home clients in RI through his association with MedOptions, Inc. and he is currently re-associated with NRI Community Services providing behavior consultation on a very limited part-time basis.
- Dr. Ahmed recently published a book in collaboration with Professor Charles Boisvert of Rhode Island College on a psychotherapy model, called Mind Stimulation Therapy. He pioneered this model of psychotherapy for challenging mental health populations over many years of clinical practice (working in a state psychiatric facility, two community mental health centers, and two nursing homes. The MST model was further refined and developed in his long-time collaborative work with Professor Boisvert, who was his former student-extern for six years.
- Mind Stimulation Therapy: Cognitive Intervention for Persons with Schizophrenia by Mohiuddin Ahmed and Charles Boisvert, Routledge, NY, 2013
Dr. Ahmed enabled posthumous publications of Jay D. Paul who left some of his writings with Dr. Ahmed before he passed away, in collaboration with Jay D. Paul's parents. Dr. Ahmed used elements of Mind Stimulation Therapy Model, specifically computer facilitated collaborative therapy dialogue with Paul, see footnotes to his articles published:
- Jay D. Paul.Understimulation of Cerebellum in Asperger’s Syndrome: A Personal Perspective," Schizophrenia Bulletin, July 2014
- Jay D. Paul.The Vacuum of the Mind: A Self-Report on the Phenomenology of Autistic, Obsessive-Compulsive, and Depressive Comorbidity," Schizophenia Bulletin,March 2014
- Mohiuddin Ahmed, PhD, Harold J. Bursztajn, MD,Beverly Jalil, Ahmad Newaz Khan, MD, and Reza Rahman,MD. Maintenance of recovery from severe psychotic depression following successful electroconvulsive therapy in an elderly patient with "natural support," Journal of Clinical Geriatrics and Gerontology,July, 2014.
- Mohiuddin Ahmed, Ph.D, David N Osser, MD, Charles M Boisvert, Ph.D., Lawrence Albert, MD, & Masood Aslam, MD. Rationale for Emphasis on Management over Treatment of Schizophrenia in Clinical Practice, Annals of Pharmacotherapy, April 2007, 41:693-95.
- Mohiuddin Ahmed, Ph.D. & Charles M Boisvert, Ph.D. Using computers as visual aids to enhance communication in therapy, Computers in Human Behavior,September 2006, 5: 847-55.
- Mohiuddin Ahmed, Ph.D. & Charles M Boisvert, Ph.D. Using Positive Psychology with Special Mental Health Populations, American Psychologist May-June 2006, 333-5.
- Mohiuddin Ahmed, Ph.D. & Charles M Boisvert, Ph.D. Exploring Unique Roles for Psychologists, American Psychologist, October 2005, 732-4.
- Mohiuddin Ahmed, Ph.D. & Charles M Boisvert, Ph.D. Multimodal Integrative Cognitive Stimulating Therapy (MICST): Moving beyond the reduction of psychopathology in Schizophrenia, Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, December 2003, 34(6):644-51.
- Mohiuddin Ahmed, Ph.D. & Charles M Boisvert, Ph.D. Enhancing Communication Through Visual Aids in Clinical Practice, American Psychologist, October 2003,58(10) 816-19.
- Mohiuddin Ahmed, Ph.D. & Charles M Boisvert, Ph.D. Cognitive Skills Group Treatment for Schizophrenia, , November 2002, 53911): 1476-7
- Mohiuddin Ahmed, Ph.D. & Charles M Boisvert, Ph.D. Computer-facilitated therapy dialogue with persons with schizophrenia, Psychiatric Services, January 2002, 53(1): 99-100.
- Mohiuddin Ahmed, Ph.D. Computer-facilitated therapy: Reality-based dialogue with people with schizophrenia, Journal of Contemporary Psychotherapy, 1999, 28(4): 397-403.
- Mohiuddin Ahmed, Ph.D., Franz Bayog, B.A., and Charles M Boisvert, Ph.D. Computer-facilitated therapy with inpatients with schizophrenia, Psychiatric Services, October 1997. 48(10): 13354-5.
- Mohiuddin Ahmed, Ph.D. & Judith A Goldman, Ph.D. Cognitive Rehabilitation of adults with severe and persistent mental illness: a group model, Community Mental Health Journal, August 1994, 30: 385-394.
- Mohiuddin Ahmed, Ph.D. Behavior therapy with emotionally disturbed and retarded Flipino children, Philippine Journal of Mental Health, 1973,4(2): 69-110.
- Mohiuddin Ahmed, Ph.D. American Student Activism in Comparative Perspective, American Psychologist, 1971, 26(5): 514.
- Mohiuddin Ahmed, Ph.D. & James F. Voss, Ph.D. Serial Acquisition as a function of Stage of Learning, Journal of Experimental Psychology, 1969, 82(2): 396-400.